Occasionally, anybody may find it difficult to sleep well at night for whatever reasons but if it is experienced a bit too frequently, it needs to be treated, because the human body essentially requires good sleep to rejuvenate itself.
People who are unable to sleep restfully at night have low energy level during the day and feel fatigued. This state of affairs can be the cause of many disorders, mental as well physical.
Frequent yawning, unable to concentrate on job or getting easily irritated are some of the
most common symptoms and you can clearly see all these can have serious consequences
on your career and social relationship. Fortunately, there are quite many ways to control sleep disorders. They include diet and nutrition, herbal therapy, physical exercises, relaxation, meditation and sensory practicing and one may have to try some of these to understand what suits him most.
Here is an introduction to some of the above methods to help control sleeplessness at night:
1. Keeping your mind occupied with simple exercises like counting or spelling of word helps to induce sleep. Keeping you mind engaged in some monotonous exercise relaxes the brain.
2. Alternatively you may follow progressive relaxation. This involves tensing your muscles followed by their relaxation. Lie down comfortably and alternately tense and relax muscles in progression, starting from your toes go upwards towards your head. It means training your body to follow the instructions commanded by your mind and learning to relax its muscles. Slowly you go to sleep.
3. Deep breathing, a yogic exercise, is an excellent technique that helps your body and muscles relax. Just keep your eye closed focus on your breathing. The posture needed for deep breathing involves the ribcage, lower back and belly. Aim for having longer and deeper breaths. Don’t rush it up, just breathe slowly.
4. Another way of dealing with sleep disorder is to practice to listen to the stillness of your ears. This is an easy, yet helpful technique. Lay back and relax. As you close your ears, a high and jingled sound is heard. Concentrate listening to that sound, and as your hands and body get relaxed, you should fall asleep in about fifteen minutes.
5. A very interesting and helpful way is offered by your feet, particularly the toes. Strangely, this system works! Here you go: Lying down, keep your eyes closed and relax. Next pull the toes towards your face. Remaining in that position, slowly count ten, and relax your toes thereafter for a count of ten. Repeat the cycle a couple of times till you fall asleep.
6. Visualizing or imagining system is one of the most preferred techniques. This may be self directed or aided by others and involves two stages. First, you relax your body thru deep breathing or some such way and then visualization should take over. In your mind, you can draw any pleasant image that you find satisfying.
7. Meditation works the opposite of visualization. It needs you to clear your brain using the process of focused breathing or focusing on some object. The objective is to have a calm thinking and attain silence of min d. Try putting an end to the processes of thinking or speaking to your mind. That takes you to the state of quietness and you fall asleep.
It needs some practice to perform these techniques that help you relax and calm your body and mind. Over a period of time your body begins to respond to the practiced techniques and you are able to sleep well at night. More helpful information to assist with sleeping disorders and living healthy can be found by pursuing an online degree in nutrition.