Dental implants are an incredible advance in dental technology that can make people’s lives that much better and they are quite possibly the closest that dentists have come in the search for the perfect solution to missing teeth. This is without a doubt the closest thing to having a real tooth or teeth. This short guide will let you know everything you need to know about dental implants.
What are they?
A dental implant is simply a replacement tooth or teeth. A small piece of metal, such as titanium is implanted into the bone underneath the gums and acts as an anchor for replacement teeth. These teeth are then attached to the implant itself in order to provide a very strong and secure replacement tooth.
What is so good about them?
Dental implants are an amazing advancement for the following reasons:
- They feel completely natural – If you know someone with dentures you will know that it isn’t always easy to talk or eat naturally. This is, thankfully, not the case with dental implants because they feel as if they are your actual tooth and are firmly supported by the bone under your gums.
- They prevent bone degradation – When you lose teeth the bone underneath has the tendency to wear away because . This can cause a loss of structure in the face and make it difficult to eat properly. Dental implants stimulate the bone and solidify it, to make sure that it does not wear away. In this way they act just like a normal tooth
- They are extremely durable – Dental implants can last for many years and if cared for properly they can potentially last a lifetime!
- They don’t go out of shape – Dentures, for example, can lose their custom fit over time because the changing shape of the mouth and these can therefore be quite unnatural and uncomfortable to wear without a denture adhesive. Dental implants on the other hand move with your mouth and never become uncomfortable.
- They are always improving – While dental implants are not exactly brand new, Dentists are perfecting the technique that they use for dental implants, so they are constantly getting better, more affordable and durable.
About the dentist
McInerney Dental Practice offers dental implants in Fareham
69 High Street